A World-Class Design
Sheffield Services would be constructed to a high standard that is sustainable and efficient, capable of achieving a BREEAM ‘very good’ rating and our intention is to use Yorkshire-based contractors, together with locally-sourced labour and materials.
The main buildings incorporate:
- Timber frame construction and claddings.
- Ecologically friendly ‘green roofs’.
- A host of other environment features.
We will ensure our design is sensitive to the surrounding woodland and landscape.
As with Extra’s ‘new concept’ Motorway Service Areas in other locations, we will continue to provide customers with a wide range of choice from international and popular brands, in an attractive competitive environment that ensures high-quality standards and good, value-for-money pricing. Importantly, and specific to Sheffield, we are also keen to incorporate within the project:
- Ancillary facilities for educational and recreational use.
- A Wildlife and Ecology Visitor Centre.
- Appropriate commemoration of Sheffield’s industrial heritage.
- A ‘Drive-in Health and Wellbeing Centre’ that would incorporate preventive health awareness and fitness centre facilities.
The Drive-in Health and Wellbeing Centre would be the first in the UK. The centre can provide a valuable additional contribution to road safety along this section of the Motorway Network. It can also be a pioneering initiative of national significance, which complements Sheffield’s National Centre for Sport and Exercise Medicine, as well as its wider sporting heritage.